To fill or not to fill

The number of people filling in tax returns has gradually increased over the last few decades to the point where it was calculated that in excess of 12 million people were dealing with this annual chore.

In the last year or two, HMRC has made a conscious effort to start reducing this number by sending out missives stating that a tax return was no longer required.

The question then arises as to how do you still manage to claim tax relief on any particular expenses if you are no longer completing a Return. HMRC have recently pointed out those individuals who do not have to submit a tax return can still obtain relief for their allowable expenses by letter, phone or filling in a form P810.

There are a number of rules and regulations relating to this procedure all of which are outlined on the Revenue’s website at,

The main criteria relates to the fact that the expenses being claimed should be under £1,000 and the fact that the first time tax relief for expenses is claimed it will have to be in writing.

For employees whose tax is dealt with largely by their coding and who no longer fill in a Return, this is a good way to make sure you are entitled to all the reliefs available.